The cooking time for this recipe is one hour and ten minutes and is for one baked potato or several baked potatoes.
1 large russet potato
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and position rack in top and bottom thirds.
- Wash potato or potatoes thoroughly with a vegetable brush and cold running water.
- Dry, then using a standard fork, poke 8 to 12 deep holes all over the spud so that moisture can escape while cooking.
- Place in bowl and coat lightly with oil.
- Sprinkle salt and place potato directly on rack in middle of oven.
- Place a baking sheet with one piece of aluminum foil on the lower rack to catch any drippings.
- Bake 1 hour or until skin feels crisp but flesh beneath feels soft.
- Serve by creating a dotted line from end to end with your fork, then crack the spud open by squeezing the ends towards one another. It will pop open. Be careful of hot steam.
- If you are cooking more than four potatoes, extend cooking time to 15 minutes.