Since I am on a roll with a BBQ dinner, here is a great side dish discovery that will go along with that Bourbon Barbeque Chicken – Grilled Potato Salad that serves 8 created by Rebeccah Marsters at Cook's Country.
6 slices bacon
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chile in adobe sauce
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
3 pounds small red potatoes, unpeeled, halved
1 onion, sliced thick as rounds
4 scallions, sliced thin
- Cook bacon in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until crisp, 7 to 9 minutes; transfer to paper towel-lined plate. Set aside 2 tablespoons bacon fat. When cool enough to handle, crumble bacon and set aside. Whisk vinegar, mayonnaise, chipotle, salt, pepper together in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in 3 tablespoons oil until combined; set aside for dressing.
- For a Gas Grill: Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Turn all burners to medium. For a Charcoal Grill: Open bottom vent completely. Light large chimney starter three-quarters filled with charcoal briquettes (4.5 quarts). When top coals are partially covered with ash, pour evenly over grill. Set cooking grate in place, cover, and open lid vent completely. Heat grill until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Oil cooking grate. Toss potatoes with reserved bacon fat and ½ teaspoon salt. Push toothpick horizontally through onion sliced rounds to keep rings intact while grilling, if you choose. Brush onion rounds lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place potatoes, cut side down, and onion rounds on the grill and cook, covered, until charred on first side, 10 to 14 minutes.
- Flip potatoes and onion rounds and continue to cook, covered, until well browned all over and potatoes are easily pierced with tip of paring knife, 10 to 16 minutes longer. Transfer potatoes and onion rounds to rimmed baking sheet and let cool slightly.
- When cool enough to handle, have potatoes; remove toothpicks from onion rounds and coarsely chop. Add potatoes, onion, scallions, and bacon to dressing and toss to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.