Comparison between the gas impingement and piston-driven AR rifles ...
- Piston-driven firearms operate cleaner.
- Piston-driven firearms operate cooler.
- Piston-driven firearms are less accurate, generally, than gas impingement systems.
- Piston-driven firearms cost more.
- Suppressors work better with the gas impingement firearms, especially those with an adjustable gas block that allows control of the amount of gas directed back through the gas tube.
- Both systems are reliable.
- Parts for gas infringement system rifles are easier to find and less expensive.
|Gun Digest photo|
The gas impingement system diverts the gas from the barrel through a tube and back into the upper receiver to operate the action.
If you own a gas impingement AR rifle and want to convert it to piston-driven, just purchase a piston-driven upper receiver. You can alternate between both systems by just changing with the lower receiver.